Saturday, July 29, 2006

A premature summary

I have (so far, knock on wood) been very lucky with this trip. All from the start until the end.
Even though it's not all over yet, after the last lesson was over today, my mind started it's wandering home. This evening I am at home, feeling the cold take a new grip with a freezing sensation although we have like 30 degrees here. I have taken the opportunity to clean my room and pack my suitcase. Left out of there is clothes for tomorrow; bathing shorts and a towel.
t feels natural to think about the two weeks here and summarise. I have been trying to recall what my expectations were... My only point of reference for a russian student home was the student home I had the privilige to visit for an exciting week in StP in 1999. Apart from that I had a vision of small dark classroom and harsh older russian woman as a teacher repeating vocabulary. (Think this image came from a fellow student at stockholm uni, who experienced nightmare-lessons in Moskow.) And finally had huge expectations on the climate and beaches.
How did turn out? As you already noticed I've been very happy with the time here. Clearly, the very best part has been the teaching. On our agenda has been nothing that was entirely new to me, but it has felt like it was when finally was explained in a way that made all the pices fit together. Most importantly it has left a certain belief in my ability to communicate in russian. I have seen that with an empathic listener I can make myself understood, and if I take my time I am able to penetrate more texts than I would have thought without a dictionary.
As far as the dormatory goes, it is the only thing here that's been less uncomfortable than expected. Loud noise at night, combined with a really bad and worn out camping bed has made sleeping a hastle. The standard has been farlover than it was in the mentioned doormatory in StP. Absence of water during late evenings and night's has made washing and hygiene somewhat difficult. On the other hand, the staff is nice and patient with our limited ability to speak and most importantly the food has been of a good standard, almost identical in quality and content to the food at the transsiberian railway. You should remember that when it comes to the living we get what we pay for: the dormatory is the cheepest form of accomodation, and at the price of 350 Sek/day we get living, two hot meals, teaching and access to swedish speaking guides.
Finally the climate... Well! wow! :-)

No comments: